Saturday, 4 August 2012

Mac Shy Girl vs NYX Pumpkin Pie: Dupe

I first heard of the brand NYX through YouTube and Blogs about a year and a half ago and was so attracted to their great range of products at low prices. Unfortunately then they were only available to us UK make up addicts online, now a small range of NYX products can be found on more UK website as well as the NYX UK site and in some high street stores like River Island. Buying make up online isn't great because it can be hard to judge colours and textures from pictures however after ordering a small selection of products, I decided to get 5 NYX lipsticks - which cost under £10 from eBay - bargain.

One of those lipsticks was Pumpkin Pie, a peach/nude colour with a cream finish. Out of the 5 I got and the one I already had, it was my absolute favourite really suited me, however the smell made me gag. 

After Christmas I decided to take the plunge and just buy Mac's Shy Girl lipstick as I had been lusted over it for a long time as my perfect peachy nude for everyday. It was only after I re-examined my NYX lipsticks, I realised that Pumpkin Pie and Shy Girl were similar in colour and tone.





Formula

NYX Round Lipsticks have a very creamy formula and are very slippery on the lips. I find I like to apply then rub in to get a better finish, to stop the product from just sitting on top of the lips and it also stops it wearing off quickly. The formula has no shimmer, glitter or frost.

This was my first Mac Creamsheen and have been disappointed with the creaminess of the formula. This lipstick applies a little drier than most lipsticks so it can show up dry patches or lines. This formula also has no shimmer, glitter or frost.

Colour

Pumpkin Pie isn't as bright as Shy Girl, as Shy Girl when layered will build to a brighter peach. I did get confused when I uploaded the pictures because they looked quite similar!

Scent

The scent is what, for me, lets down the quality of the NYX lipsticks - why oh why do they smell so bad - if they changed the smell of their lipsticks I would buy more! I would described the smell/taste as like lemon toilet cleaner, I love nice lemon scents but this makes me gag. It's sad because I have a few of these lipsticks but the smell/taste completely puts me off using them. The Mac lipsticks smell like vanilla which is a great, no offensive, sweet smell/taste for any lip product.

Bare Lips

NYX Pumpkin Pie
MAC Shy Girl
Comparisson - NYX top lip
Mac Bottom lip

NYX vs Mac - not the most true to colour swatch but actually shows the difference in the tones and formulas really well

Verdict


Not a complete dupe but very similar. If you like NYX lipsticks I would say this is a great colour to get as it's a lovely natural peachy tone and would suit a range of different skin tones and make up looks. However the smell/taste of these has meant that I don't enjoy using them but the big difference in price might make that irrelevant for you. Shy Girl is always in my make up bag as it works with my skin tone and goes with all different looks, although the more orangey tones might not flatter all skintones.

NYX Round Lipstick in Pumpkin Pie - Joy's Cosmetics On Ebay - £1.87 for one, £4.80 for 3 or £8.55 for 6 (all without P+P)
Also available from NYX UK for £3.50 (without P+P)
Mac Creamsheen Lipstick in Shy Girl - Mac Cosmetics - £14.00


Love Georgia xxx

4 comments:

  1. I love mac and really want to pick up shy girl! But now I've seen the NYX one, I might get that!

    sophie-said.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great dupe and NYX have some really lovely other colours of lipstick. It's a shame I can't stand the smell :( xxx

      Delete
  2. nice post... i was looking for dupe of shygirl and it is close enough....

    your new follower.... do visit mine and participate in new international giveaway....

    http://www.makeupshakeups.com/2013/01/win-two-vanilla-berry-handmade-soaps.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO I REALLY LOVED YOUR BLOG AND U LOOK LIKE A GREAT AND BEAUTYFULL GIRL TO ME AND SECONDLY SORRY FOR CAPS SMTHING IS WRONG WITH MY KEYPAD AND I CANT REALLY HELP IT OR FIGURE OUT WHAT WENT WRONG.......WHAT MY QUESTION IS THAT I WISH TO WEAR LIPSTICS PREFERABLY EVERYDAY....I SWEAT A TON AND LIVE IN A HOT AND HUMID WEATHER AND IS WONDERING TO GET SOME LIPSTICS WHICH LASTS LONG.....IS MAC WRORTH IT? AND ARE DRUGTORE LIPSTICS WORTH IT ....

    ReplyDelete